There are many ways to reach the finish line of a big project but the most effective for me is to break it down in to small parts. The little wins of progress help fuel the process to completion. So when I moved in to a dated apartment with 1973 original fixtures I knew there was going to be many mini-projects and lots of elbow grease involved.
Task #1 - Kitchen sink.
I've always appreciated a clean kitchen. By always I mean I can remember as a 10 year old child apologizing and saying to my friends to "not mind the messy kitchen" while they were visiting. Not quite a normal kid thing to say so let's just go with I had some "issues", k?
Sometimes my kitchen is a total and unbelievable mess due to a busy week's schedule but it doesn't stay like that for too long before it drives me nuts. However, this apartment's kitchen has one sink and no dishwasher. Not a lot of space to create or leave a mess to clean up later. So this was obviously the first place I wanted to focus on since I like spending so much time in the kitchen anyways. What did I do first? Take apart and clean the taps on the faucet, of course! The last tenant had lived here for nearly 6 years and I'm 100% certain she never cleaned them. I've met the woman, she seems like a nice lady but she's certainly not a kitchen faucet cleaning freak like me. Ha!
This is such a simple 30 minute project that gave me such joy when it was done because of how much better they look!
Task #2 - Door pulls!
Since this is a rental and I want to keep costs low on these projects I needed an idea on how to make the very well used door/cupboard pulls look better. I certainly didn't want to spend a lot of money or time on them so my logic lead me to spray paint! Found a primer/paint all surfaces spray paint at the local giant big box store that would work for this and got to work.
First - took all the pulls off the doors and gave them a good scrub. So much grossness with caked on food particles on nearly all of them. Let them dry and then attached them to a piece of cardboard by piercing holes through so that the screws would hold them standing up while I sprayed them outside. Genius!
I've already reattached them to the drawers and cupboards but am going to wait to post final photos after I do another mini-project to jazz up the boring doors.
Task #3 - Open cabinets!
A few years ago I lived in a great rental house in another part of the city where the kitchen was beautifully designed by the owners. One of my favourite parts was the open cupboards above and to the sides of the sink and so I figured I may as well make this kitchen pop with a similar idea.
I took off the cupboard doors above the sink and saved all the screws and pulls in a little bag for reattaching when I leave and started the cleaning. How did food and who knows what else gets splattered on the top shelf? I just don't understand. Needless to say my elbow greasin' self got a good work out scrubbing and climbing on the counter-top to reach the top shelves (because of course I don't even have a chair right now let alone a step stool).
Then came the linings... this is not a hard thing to do it's just time consuming and completely frustrating when the cut sheets don't line up properly because you turned the roll around by accident. Sigh... Con-tact paper is the best and worst invention for these kinds of projects and I'm pretty happy with the end results even though there are a lot of nit-picking spots that didn't adhere super smoothly or line up with a previous sheet. Whatever...
So much more left to do but this is great start and I'm pumped on getting some fun lighting sorted out for the living room and bedroom.